Closing date: September 20, 2021
Job no: 544418
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Voice!
Working for UNICEF: https://youtu.be/43aiG4w2q_M?t=2
UNICEF in Afghanistan: https://www.unicef.org/afghanistan/
How can you make a difference?
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to strategy design and development of integrated C4D activities
- Support to implementation of C4D activities
- Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
1. Support to strategy design and development of integrated C4D activities
- Research and/or participate in conducting comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, communication, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Programme of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for evidence-based C4D strategies and integrated plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programmes) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Assess, select and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Monitor and assess the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the CO and UNICEF goals to achieve measurable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing. Submit qualitative report/synthesis of results for development planning and improvement.
2. Support to the implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate and/or consult with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to research, develop, and produce evidence-based strategies and test, produce and use quality C4D materials, organize events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D strategies and activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure community engagement and participation, and optimum outreach and impact.
- Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and tools to support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up and monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
- Collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of programme funds and prepare documentations and related materials for financial planning for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
3. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organizations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners in the community and civil society to reinforce cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self-determination and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes
4. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate products to key audiences including partners and donors.
- Support the organization, administration and implementation of capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and academic institutions, to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programmes/projects. Develop training materials for training activities, and revise and update them as necessary.
Impact of Results
The efficient and effective technical, administrative and operational support provided to the development and implementation of C4D advocacy initiatives and products directly impact on the ability of UNICEF to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviors, social attitudes, beliefs and actions by communities, individuals and societies on children’s rights, survival and wellbeing. This in turn contributes to enhancing the ability of UNICEF to fulfill its mission to achieve sustainable, locally-owned and concrete results in improving the survival, development and wellbeing of children in the country.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of two of relevant professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
This position has been assessed as an elevated risk role for Child Safeguarding purposes as it is a child data role role. Additional vetting and assessment for elevated risk roles in child safeguarding (potentially including additional criminal background checks) applies.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 07 Sep 2021 Afghanistan Standard Time
Deadline: 20 Sep 2021 Afghanistan Standard Time
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org