Closing date: August 31, 2021
Job no: 543886
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Communication
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
This position is part of the Communication for Development/Social and Behavioral Change (SBC) section of the Regional Office, out posted to Istanbul, Turkey.
The Communication for Development Specialist reports to the C4D Regional Adviser. Under the supervision and guidance of the Regional Advisor C4D, and in close collaboration with the ECARO teams, the incumbent will provide technical assistance to country offices in C4D/SBC to support the implementation of Country Programmes and Regional Priorities. The C4D Specialist will provide support to all countries in ECAR on the development of systematic, planned and evidence-based and theory driven SBC strategies on Immunization, social inclusion and for other Regional Office result areas. The incumbent will also support capacity building of UNICEF staff and partners on C4D and monitor the implementation and outcome of social and behavioral change interventions.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Technical Support and oversight to countries on strategy design and development of C4D/SBC activities
- Capacity building of UNICEF staff and partners on SBC
- Monitoring and Evaluation of SBC activities
- Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management
Impact of Results:
The strategic and effective development and implementation of SBC advocacy initiatives and products directly impact on the ability of UNICEF to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviors, social attitudes, beliefs and actions by communities, individuals and society on children’s rights, survival and wellbeing. This in turn contributes to enhancing the ability of UNICEF to fulfill its mission to achieve sustainable, locally owned and concrete results in improving the survival, development and wellbeing of children in the country.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, political sciences, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations, or another relevant technical field
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset
- Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Russian language knowledge is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Persuading and influencing (2)
- Applying technical expertise (2)
- Entrepreneurial thinking (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 17 Aug 2021 GTB Daylight Time
Deadline: 31 Aug 2021 GTB Daylight Time
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.