Closing date: October 1, 2021
Job no: 544716
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Education.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favouritism to the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfil their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. Accelerating progress towards realizing the rights of all children, is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
In Georgia, UNICEF is supporting the Government to generate demand for COVID-19 and routine immunization programmes, increase equitable access to quality and inclusive education and addressing social norms on violence against children. In this regard, UNICEF Georgia is seeking a national consultant with relevant expertise and experience to support the development and execution of the communication for development (C4D) programming.
The Consultant would provide technical and operational support to the C4D Officer and internal colleagues by administering, implementing and monitoring a variety of C4D initiatives and activities to promote community engagement and participation, and measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization.
Scope of Work:
The C4D Consultant will provide support to C4D Officer in the following key functions / accountabilities:
- Support C4D analyses related to vaccine demand generation, inclusive and quality education and/or violence against children
- Support research and conduct comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, communication, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region.
- Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D activities.
- Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for evidence-based C4D strategies and plans to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Support assess, select and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Support monitor and assess the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the CO and UNICEF goals to achieve measurable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing.
- Support planning and implementation of C4D activities
- Support consult with internal and external partners to produce evidence-based strategies and test, produce and use quality C4D materials.
- Support organize events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D strategies and activities.
- Support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up and support monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials.
- Support collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of programme funds.
- Support to advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Support the building and maintenance of partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with Government, national and international CSOs, professional and community groups, religious leaders, academia, private sector and/or other critical partners to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Support to monitoring and evaluation of C4D activities, including documentation of interventions and knowledge sharing
- Support monitoring of activities to inform effectiveness and efficiency of interventions
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge internally as well as with partners and stakeholders.
- Support dissemination of knowledge products to key audiences including partners and donors.
- Support capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and academic institutions, to enhance the competencies of stakeholders/partners.
Duration: 1 October 2021 -30 June 2022
Location: Home based. Travel when required.
Work Assignment Overview
|Support C4D analyses related to vaccine demand generation, inclusive and quality education and/or violence against children
|Monthly report||Oct – Jun|
|Support planning and implementation of C4D activities
|Monthly report||Oct – Jun|
|Support advocacy, networking and partnership building
|Monthly report||Oct – Jun|
|Support monitoring and evaluation of C4D activities, including documentation of interventions and knowledge sharing.
|Monthly report||Oct – Jun|
Education: A university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or another relevant technical field.
Experience: A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 17 Sep 2021 Georgian Standard Time
Deadline: 01 Oct 2021 Georgian Standard Time
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.