European Institute of Peace
Closing Date: Oct 13, 2020
The European Institute of Peace is looking for exceptional individuals who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We provide practical experience, technical expertise, and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design of peace processes and agreements, facilitating policy discussions, and proposing practical engagement, for example through inclusive dialogue and mediation support.
Based in Brussels and active in over a dozen countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organisation working collaboratively with European decision-makers, the parties to the conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our innovative approach to peace enables us to be agile, creative, and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members. See www.eip.org for more information.
We are looking for a Communications and Outreach Expert to support the Institute’s programme in Afghanistan for two months to start on 15 November 2020.
Terms of References
Based in Kabul on a full-time basis, and initially embedded within the State Ministry for Peace (SMP), the expert will provide advice on strategic communications and outreach to the Ministry, and other state actors such as the Negotiation Team and the High Council for National Reconciliation (HCNR), to successfully support intra-Afghan peace negotiations.
Duties and responsibilities
In close coordination with the Institute’s Afghanistan Team Leader and Programme Manager:
- Develop and help implement a comprehensive communications strategy for the SMP;
- Enhance coordination in the communications and outreach fields amongst the institutions forming the Afghan peace architecture – through strategic sessions, briefings, written reports – to bolster negotiation objectives and avoid disjointed efforts. Advice on coordination frameworks for communications.
- Develop a political messaging strategy for the State Minister for Peace;
- Advice on setting up a mechanism for monitoring public opinion with regards to the peace process and its potential outcomes;
- Advice on liaison and outreach efforts to Afghan civil society, with a particular focus on the provinces, facilitating citizen input into negotiations;
- Assist in the set-up of a regional dialogue initiative aimed at fostering regional consensus-building around the peace process and the implementation of a potential peace agreement;
- Other tasks at the request of the Engagement, Dialogue & Process Design (EDP) Unit Director, Afghanistan Team Leader, Afghanistan Programme Manager, or Afghan counterparts.
- Advanced university degree in journalism, communications, political science, international relations or a related field;
- Minimum seven years of experience in political communications, for instance in support of a national peace ministry, in an advisory role to a government negotiation team or an equivalent support role related to one or more national peace processes;
- Experience of working in Afghanistan and strong knowledge of the Afghan peace process is highly desired;
- Experience working at a high political level on sensitive and confidential topics;
- Perfect command of English. Knowledge of Dari or Pashto is an asset;
- Willingness to deploy to Kabul and to conduct regional travel within Afghanistan and internationally as required;
- Ability to work independently, with meticulous attention to detail and as part of a small team.
The Institute offers
- Consultancy contract
- A lump sum quotation is required, including fees and other relevant expenses.
Please submit in English:
- your CV (Name_Surname_CV_ Comms and outreach expert)
- a one-page motivation letter (Name_Surname_ML_comms and outreach expert) demonstrating your qualification according to the profile
Submit to: [email protected]
The deadline is Tuesday 13th of October COB. If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.eip.org.