Closing date: 27 September 2018
This consultancy will provide support to the C4D Section in New York Headquarters to deliver quality C4D activities to increase sustainability of interventions for child protection — with emphasis on eliminating child marriage and addressing other harmful practices such as FGM and VAC — through a focus on evidence generation, knowledge management and dissemination, and coordination of technical support mechanisms. The consultant will assist the C4D Section’s Child Protection focal point in leading research initiatives and partnerships and providing technical support to UNICEF field office staff and partners in selected countries to better equip them in designing and implementing integrated interventions to address FGM, VAC, CM and other harmful practices. The consultant will be responsible for primary coordination of the research partnership with UCSD GEH on drivers of child marriage including dissemination of its key findings, and coordination of technical assistance missions to support child marriage and/or child protection programming. The consultant will also lend support to a wider agenda of strengthening social norms approaches in child protection by leading a mapping of social norms activities in child protection at UNICEF, assisting in coordination of research on measurement of social norms related to FGM, designing an action plan for the development of social norms programmatic technical guidance; and assisting in finalization of a technical package of research and guidance on C4D strategies for VAC.
The consultant will work under the supervision of the C4D Specialist for Institutional Capacity Development, who is the focal point for Child Protection, to support C4D programming and technical support related to harmful practices and social norms, including:
- Coordinate the Partnership Cooperation Agreement between the C4D Section and UCSD GEH, including but not limited to:
- Facilitate coordination and communication with the UCSD Team including regular feedback and inputs on key phases of the project (literature review; research design; data collection; preliminary analysis; final report; dissemination/sharing in technical meetings).
- Share with the Child Marriage team in the Child Protection Section regular updates on activities undertaken by the UCSD team. This may include setting up discussion sessions (i.e., conference calls; webinars; meetings) with the child marriage team and/or field teams to collect feedback on preliminary findings.
- Support documentation and dissemination of research findings from the UCSD partnership to ROs/COs and to other relevant partners and groups, including development of briefs and other relevant products for internal (UNICEF) and external audiences. Liaise with regional and country level C4D teams to facilitate technical support on integration of relevant data in the implementation and evaluation of communication strategies.
- Support organization and preparation of a research symposium to be jointly planned by UNICEF and UCSD and hosted by UCSD in Spring 2019.
- Prepare periodic updates and required reports on key activities of the project as outlined in the Partnership Cooperation Agreement
- Assist with administrative management of the partnership and timely and clear financial management, including supporting the research partner in meeting all financial reporting and request requirements, processing grant extensions as needed, and completing donor reports.
- Coordinate planning and participate in joint C4D/Child Protection technical assistance missions in coordination with the C4D team, child protection team, and/or ROs/COs for assessing C4D capacities and developing action points for strengthening child protection-related C4D activities at the country level.
- Conduct a mapping/inventory of UNICEF social norms initiatives and approaches in the context of child protection and analysis of their applicability to child marriage, FGM and/or VAC programming
- Based on the results of the mapping, provide a suggested outline for a social norms programmatic technical guidance note, draft initial content, and provide a proposed work plan for its finalization
- Coordination of publication of existing draft manuscripts and reports on C4D and VAC evidence, research and technical guidance, including drafting a Forward, copy editing, and coordination of layout, design and printing with external vendor.
- Provide coordination support and technical inputs to the development and validation of social norms change measurement framework for FGM
- Assist with administration of existing partnership agreements/contracts related to C4D and child protection including, two existing agreements with Drexel University for C4D and VAC and C4D and FGM; assist in administrative aspects of establishing new partnerships should need arise.
- Support knowledge sharing between country and regional offices related to C4D strategies for Child marriage, FGM, and/or VAC through the organization of webinars, the development of case studies documenting best practices at the regional and country level, development of programme briefs, etc.
- Provide support to other strategic areas C4D’s engagement in child protection as needed, including but not limited to C4D research tools for the global End Violence campaign; reviewing and commenting on key programmatic documents; editing reports or documentation related to C4D and child protection;
To apply for this job please visit www.unicef.org.