BBC Media Action
Closing date: September 26, 2021
Job title: Freelance publicist (part-time)
Reports to: Head of Communications
Location: London/remote working
Duration: Six weeks from early October – up to 3 days per week
Closing date: 26 September 2021 – 23.59
Special requirements: Proven experience in publicity or public relations is required.
Candidates should send their CV, a cover letter (in English) that outlines their relevant experience and suitability for the role, and expected day rate by email to [email protected] Please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send it by 23.59 Sunday 26 September.
BBC Media Action:
Are you passionate about media and about climate? Do you have a track record of catching journalists’ attention with creative campaigns? Have you got brilliant ideas to demonstrate how media can work for good to promote climate action at all levels?
We have an opening for a part-time freelance publicist to support our autumn campaign on the role of media and communication in climate change adaptation. We need effective promotion of a series of ground-breaking films from Nepal, Bangladesh and Kenya, on climate change’s impact and how people can adapt, as well as support to ensure our thought leadership on the role of media and communication in climate action is seen by national and international politicians, policy-makers and duty-bearers.
Create and manage a climate-focused publicity campaign across owned and earned channels to promote the role of media and communication in climate action; offer logistical and communications support to related events and key moments in the runup and during COP26.
Main duties and accountabilities:
- Strategise and lead on a multi-platform communication campaign focused on climate, with an emphasis on earned traditional and new media
- Use creativity and innovation to achieve impactful media coverage and raise the profile of BBC Media Action and its partners on climate change adaptation
- Anticipate and manage issues with potentially negative impact and handle related reactive issues as required
- Write clear concise media information for traditional and new media as well as associated own-channel online and interactive content
- Manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Establish and maintain a network of contacts with the media, national newspapers and magazines, websites, TV, radio and online outlets
- Evaluate work, collecting and analysing evidence to assess impact of communications work and sharing lessons with wider team
- Co-ordinate press conferences/screenings/launches and briefings, previews, handling requests for interviews and when needed, face to face audience engagement/activity (audience facing events/activity)
- Generate assets for use online and in social media, and contribute to the running of social media accounts
- Participate in a mandatory briefing on Respect at Work, and ensure compliance with the staff code of conduct and its related policies
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the line manager or using the Whistleblowing Policy
- Strong understanding of and commitment to BBC editorial values.
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
- Proven track record in publicity or public relations
- Strong understanding and connections in the UK and international media environment, including social and digital media, and good understanding of the news-gathering process across radio, television, print and online
- Excellent news sense, and the ability to write crisp, clear and lively copy, to stimulate both media and public interest
- Proven creativity in campaigns, with evidence of trying out new ideas and approaches to reach audiences
- Good interpersonal skills, allowing the post-holder to develop and maintain credibility and effective working relationships with a range of contacts at different levels
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and awareness of all media outlets and the social media landscape
- Excellent media contacts and knowledge and understanding of online/social media opportunities for a publicity campaign
- Proven organisational and planning skills – managing campaigns, organizing and delivering events, managing crises.
- Ability to create, edit and produce digital assets for social media
- An understanding and working knowledge of the theory and impact of media and communication for development
- An understanding of issues of climate change, particularly climate adaptation, affecting the Global South.
To apply for this job please visit uk.bbcmediaaction.org..