Closing date: Nov 27, 2020
The Health Specialist (Environmental Health) plays a central role in advancing inter-sectoral programming by UNICEF in high-density urban/slum and other areas engaged in the processing of e-waste. The Specialist will oversee the overall implementation and management of the lead exposure prevention programme in Ghana with focus on Agbogbloshie and other identified areas, promote a holistic (multisectoral) approach to addressing the exposure of children to lead poisoning, embark on advocacy for the Government and stakeholders to put in place measures to reduce lead exposure, and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities to inform future programming.
H/She will collaborate with PureEarth and the relevant Government agencies to conduct a country assessment of the Lead (Pb) exposure, policy and institutional analysis and lead the write up of the final report. The post will also support the Environmental Protection Agency and the Public Health Division of the Ghana Health Service to implement a lead exposure prevention programme benefitting children in Agbogbloshie and other identified areas; Provide Technical support to build the capacity of Health Workers in target clinics to educate caregivers on prevention/mitigation of lead exposure, monitoring of Blood Lead (Pb) Levels and provide treatment as part of Maternal and Child Health Services. The Specialist will champion awareness campaign through education and community engagement working closely with the Communications section and C4D for community level and mass media campaigns and also with the education section to disseminate messages through schools using children as agents of change. H/She will also support the government and other stakeholders to establish and finance lead (Pb) exposure reduction roadmaps for priority sites/sources and provide technical and policy guidance to address unsound ULAB smelting and other potential sources.
1. Lead the Country Assessment on the environmental lead situation in Ghana in collaboration with PureEarth.
2. Conduct multi-sectoral engagement and mapping.
3. Building the capacity of Ghana Health Service and Environmental Protection Agency staff.
4. Development of communication materials for community level lead exposure prevention education and awareness creation.
5. Support Health Systems strengthening.
6. Monitoring and supportive supervision.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in in environmental health, environmental engineering, toxicology, public health or related field
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible relevant professional work experience at the national or international levels with a focus on environmental health and child health
- Experience in providing technical guidance on public health policy and programme response to environmental pollution and climate change, good experience with the Ghana situation, a strong asset
- Experience in advocacy, policy, strategy development and programme design, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in partnership building across donors, foundations, multi-laterals, academia and governments at national or international level
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
The functional competencies required for this post are…
Leading & Supervising (II); Formulating Strategies & Concepts (II); Analyzing (II); Applying Technical Expertise (II); Planning & Organizing (II).
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.