Closing date: not given
About the Opportunity
In the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Internews is implementing several projects in media development, community engagement, humanitarian and health communication and civic participation, with a focus on women and youth. This work is supported by USAID and FHI 360 (Media Sector Development Activity), the European Commission, DFID, the Swedish International Development Agency, and the Swiss Development Agency. These activities aim to: support the advocacy of Congolese CSOs for press freedom and access to information; train journalists; build capacities of media managers; reinforce media business models and promote information exchange between public decision-makers, journalists, CSOs and citizens. Other projects aim to strengthen women’s participation in democratic debate and maintain social cohesion, particularly between Burundian refugees and host communities in South Kivu, and support the COVID-19 and Ebola Responses addressing information gaps and rumors in communities.
Under the supervision of Internews’ Senior Journalism Advisor, the Media Business Advisor will oversee developing strategies and implementing activities aimed at strengthening the sustainability of Congolese media outlets. They will train and support Congolese media managers on financial management, marketing, and organizational development to improve management structures, revenue collection and financial independence of partner media outlets.
This position requires strong technical knowledge and skills in the areas of media management, organizational development, planning and strategy, finance and administration.
Internews’ main office in the DRC is in Kinshasa. Internews also has offices in Bukavu (South Kivu), Beni, Butembo and Goma (North Kivu), and Lubumbasi (Haut Katanga). This role will work from Internews’ Kinshasa office.
Key Responsibilities of the Role Include:
- Produce and monitor a 4-year capacity building plan to strengthen business models of partner media outlets;
- Provide advice to strengthen the capacities of partner media outlets (community radio, private community radio, online media) to generate additional incomes and build a sustainable business model
- Develop governance tools with partner community radios to increase accountability of community radio managers, notably through radio clubs, with the objective to increase and sustain financial support from the community;
- Work with Internews’ DRC Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist on tools to monitor progress in the enhancement of business models of partner media outlets;
- Develop practical and easy-to-use tools for conducting audience research through radio clubs and train radio managers on these tools;
- Coordinate the production of periodic audience research;
- Work with community radio stations on small market studies and action plans to explore opportunities or create new income-generating activities;
- Design and conduct trainings in basic management skills such as budgeting, financial management, planning and performance monitoring to to partner media outlets and work with them to develop and monitor development plans;
- Mentor managers of target media outlets in the implementation of their development plans and initiatives to strengthen their business models;
- Mentor media managers in linking marketing research, audience data, programming, and media business operations;
- Support target media outlets in establishing interactions with local, national, and international business to encourage the development of new income-generating activities;
- In collaboration with the IT/Social Media Specialist, support target media outlets to develop their online presence in a relevant and sustainable way;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by management;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Academic qualification in management or related field; MBA or related degree preferred
- Professional training experience in organizational development an asset
- At least 5 years of experience in media business management or supporting the strengthening of media business models, including radio and online media, in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Extensive experience in strategic business management, organizational capacity development (finance, administration, marketing, organizational governance)
- Extensive experience in strategic market analysis
- Good knowledge of online audience monetization tools
- Experience in organizing and conducting training sessions
- Previous experience working on programs funded by international donors (preferably USAID)
- Fluency in French and English an asset
- Ability to motivate, coach and manage individuals and groups from a large range of backgrounds and expertise
- Excellent analytical, training, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Strong IT skills; working knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint essential.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.