Closing date: not given
Ads for News is a growing, curated portfolio of more than 8,000 trusted local news websites in 30 countries, screened by local partners to exclude content unsuitable for brands, such as disinformation.
We make it easier for brands to reach new and engaged audiences, supporting real journalism and spending towards those who have earned it.
Independent, local news is the cornerstone of democracy but it is facing an extinction event from multiple threats: the secular shift from print to digital business models; revenue capture by algorithmically-driven internet giants; the destruction of ad revenues from a global pandemic; broad-brush keyword blocking of sensitive news topics by brands; the rise of disinformation. All of these dilute the ad spend that trusted, local news can compete for and deliver unparalleled performance with. Without this revenue, the journalism that keeps those in power accountable is starved.
Brands can sell and distribute goods and services more easily in stable, democratic markets. With Ads for News, they are offered safe passage through news media ad placements with guidance on its many positive impacts, such as the high propensity of consumers to buy brands they see advertised in their preferred news media. (Source: Newsworks.)
There is strong support for this initiative in the advertising industry. Ads for News is backed by media buying giants GroupM and OMD, along with our wider United for News ( https://unitedfornews.org ) coalition in collaboration with the World Economic Forum. With these partners, and by establishing our presence on PubMatic and DoubleClick Ad Exchange, we have the structure and partnerships needed to scale up.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
For the Ads for News (https://adsfornews.org) initiative, Internews seeks an outreach officer experienced in working with media buying agencies, the brands they represent, and programmatic advertising. The successful candidate will lead our rollout of this initiative at a pivotal moment for news media globally.
Working closely with and reporting to the Ads for News program lead (Internews’ Senior Director for Media Business), the Outreach Officer will secure test campaigns and longer-term ad spend commitments from brands and their media buying agencies, while continuously striving to deliver safe ad environments and unparalleled news advertising benefits to brands and their campaigns.
Currently, all Internews’ headquarters offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Ultimately, this position will be based remotely.
Due to the concentration of brand and advertising agency groups’ head offices in London and New York, the ideal candidate for this role will have contacts and experience from major US and/or European markets, from which further contacts can be developed in our other markets.
Remote candidates will be considered. Work hours are moderately flexible but are generally Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm. You should apply with the understanding that some flexibility will be required to accommodate coordination with colleagues and counterparts in other time zones.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that applies to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Outbound and inbound business development activity targeting brands and media buying agencies
- Supporting the Program Lead in liaising with and onboarding news media outlets, programmatic advertising platforms and supporting organizations
- Attending and speaking at industry events to promote Ads for News
- Working with local in-country partners to maintain and expand our list and support their outreach efforts
- Gathering data from brands, agencies and ad platforms on ad spend and performance from using Ads for News
- Supporting the creation of learning materials for publishers, to help them create safe and effective advertising environments for brands
- Updating all outreach activity in Salesforce CRM
- Providing regular reports and analysis to management
- Other duties as assigned
- In all duties, demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Relevant university degree required
- At least three years’ experience working with brands and media buying agencies
- Experience working with programmatic advertising
- Excellent communication skills in English: speaking, writing and listening
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Excel
- Proficiency in a second language is preferred
- Proficiency in using Salesforce CRM is preferred, but not essential
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.