Closing date: not given
About the Opportunity
Internews’ Global Technology Program (GTP) advances the digital safety of human rights defenders, civil society members and journalists, and advocates for digital rights and protections for the world’s most vulnerable populations. From funding local internet rights advocacy initiatives and open-source technology development to designing cutting-edge approaches to organizational security, GTP focuses on local and regional needs and connects them at the global level to demand an inclusive, safe, and open web. In addition, GTP provides technological support to media outlets and human rights defenders and pilots cutting-edge approaches to analyzing and researching closing civic space.
Under the supervision of the Director, the Program Officer will lead a project that seeks to identify and understand harmful online speech patterns across at least 10 countries through local partnerships with researchers. As such, knowledge of information disorders (misinformation, disinformation, malinformation) is required, as is experience with Airtable and/or interactive data capture and visualization tools. In addition to coordinating with partners, a large part of the project is building systems and norms to help the project run smoothly. The Program Officer also provides direct management of projects and staff and supports portfolio growth by leading proposal development and relevant communications.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is contingent upon funding but will start no later than 1 May 2021 and will go through 30 December 2021, with potential to continue if more funding becomes available.
This is a remote-based position, and candidates based anywhere in the world will be considered. Working hours are flexible based on time zone, but early or late calls may be required for coordination with the program team. This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that applies to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities Include the Following:
Supervision & Projects Management
- Directly oversee the management of one (1) hate speech project on the Global Technology Portfolio;
- Supervise at least one (1) full-time staff, including assigning work, approving timesheets and managing their workload;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and local partner organizations, including donors, and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Directly manage the finance and administration of the project grants including reviewing contract packages for compliance, developing Requests for Applications/ Requests for Proposals and conducting analysis of all grants and contracts to ensure they are in line with operational program plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities, including managing privacy-respectful data aggregation.
Team Services & Learning
- Contribute to the development of a community of practice around information disorders and platform accountability;
- Capture project learnings and share knowledge with team;
- Support Director in developing team systems and norms, as needed.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.