Closing date: not given
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Project Coordinator will oversee the implementation of all Papua New Guinea-based program activities under the US Department of State-funded media sustainability subgrant, facilitated by the East West Center (EWC) as part of the Asia Pacific Media and Dialogue Initiative (APMDI).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may also be assigned):
- In collaboration with the Media Business Leadership Unit, support a formal assessment of the business environment for news media organizations in the South Pacific, with a focus on Papua New Guinea;
- As directed, conduct interviews, produce transcripts and provide regional insight in collaboration with the University of the South Pacific (USP) and Pacific Islands News Associations (PINA);
- Prepare reports presenting a summary of key threats facing media organizations, potential solutions, opportunities and recommendations; summary slide deck of top-line observations;
- Support the design and lead the delivery of a series of in-person and virtual Media Cafes for South Pacific media editors, publishers and policy makers on other threats to and importance of independent press;
- Secure a range of quality guest speakers (Pacific journalists, media entrepreneurs and academics) and participants;
- Provide consultation and implementation support for the awareness-raising social media campaign, coordinating the creation of a series of short videos and infographics conveying the threats facing media independence;
- Work closely with Splice to design and convene a Virtual Innovation Lab, aimed at developing new initiatives to address media sustainability threats and opportunities identified in the assessment;
- Lead the call for applications for involvement in the Lab, leveraging local networks;
- Mediate and foster collaboration meaningful exchange on the WhatsApp group that will be set up with all the Innovation Lab participants;
- Coordinate small grants to fund media sustainability initiatives;
- Coordinate virtual event to launch initiatives, including securing a local influencer/entertainer as MC;
- Contribute heavily to monitoring and evaluation efforts, providing in-depth quantitative and qualitative data and analysis to inform quarterly reports;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that all project implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries; and
- Represent Internews in-country and demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Ability to work and reside in Papua New Guinea.
- Proven experience with project management/coordination and/or relevant advanced degree.
- Familiarity with the development sector in Papua New Guinea, and previous experience working with media outlets and journalists in the country.
- Solution-oriented, proactive problem-solver.
- Excellent English language (written and spoken) and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, reliability, and good time management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues in different time zones.
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work well with others, meet deadlines, and respond to shifting priorities.
- Fluency in English; proficiency in other local languages an asset.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.