Closing Date: not given
Internews is seeking a Project Lead to be based in Nairobi for a 2-year project to provide high-level technical expertise to journalists in Sub-Saharan Africa on a project aimed to boost the quantity and quality of media coverage of persons with disabilities in Sub-Saharan Africa, with a specific focus on producing news reports, articles and stories that provide accurate and balanced portrayals of disability as a part of everyday life. In building the capacity of individual reporters, media outlets, and journalism networks to cover the perspectives and voices of persons with disabilities, the project goal is to inform the public and policy-makers, promote greater accountability, and ignite conversations that change social normas and attitudes over time as well as change the narrative of how persons with disabilities are portrayed in the media.
The Project Lead will be responsible for overseeing the overall program implementation, trainings, mentorship programs, and production stipends to journalists in Tanzania, Cote D’ Ivoire, Liberia, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
This position will provide strategic guidance and leadership for the program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity-building assistance to journalists and partners; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management, and administration; and coordinate with other stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Project Lead will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and stakeholders in Sub-Saharan Africa.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide general oversight of the program, including program management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners;
- Design and lead technical activities, including media assessments, training, and mentoring with a team of trainers/consultants in the countries of implementation.
- Provide oversight to ensure quality, cost, and timeliness of performance by project partners
- Since the project is regional, the project lead is expected to work and communicate with Internews country offices and country directors for activity preparation, implementation, and follow-up.
- Manage Internews team of trainers/consultants that provide technical assistance to local Media partners;
- Communicate challenges facing the project, and articulate the project’s successes in meeting those challenges;
- Responsible for the quality, cost, and timeliness of performance of all work performed under the funding contract;
- Responsible for the Monitoring and Evaluation of the Project;
- Prepare Project reports as required;
- Strategize new directions for Internews to help independent media in integrating disability issues in news coverage;
- Fundraise for project continuation;
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of local media in the region.
- Develop and maintain contact with local stakeholders;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Fluency in both English and French is required.
- Proven professional experience as a journalist, editor, or media development expert; OR Relevant professional experience managing capacity building projects in Africa;
- Substantial experience working as a Project Manager;
- Experience in and knowledge of issues affecting Persons with Disability.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans;
- Demonstrated ability to manage national and international staff and a regional team of consultants;
- Strong interpersonal skills, necessary to maintain good relations with relevant stakeholders;
- Strong writing and analytical skills;
- Experience in managing private and foundation funded projects especially at regional level.
Benefits Information: This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.