Closing date: July 27, 2021
The Senior Communication Manager (C4D) reports to the Chief Polio Eradication for general guidance and direction. S/He is responsible for developing systematic, planned and evidence-based strategies and approaches for communications and C4D, and to assure that the section is positioned as an integral component of the overall country program. It aims to achieve measurable behavioral and social change at individual, household and community levels, contribute to effective coordination of partners and civil society organizations, to support and sustain polio eradication in Pakistan. Ensure a cross-sectional approach across the UNICEF Pakistan Country office supporting and leveraging an integrated approach with specific attention to health/ EPI, child survival and development.
As part of the Pakistan Polio Eradication, the Senior Communication Manager (C4D) will provide technical support and leadership to Polio eradication efforts under the Communication for Eradication (C4E) that includes but not limited to overseeing the implementation of a communication for eradication strategy developed and the National Emergency Action Plan for Polio Eradication. This requires leadership of the UNICEF team and the expanded GPEI partnership team consisting of staff from the Government, WHO, BMGF and the CDC. The new strategy focuses on addressing misconceptions around vaccine safety and efficacy by engaging stakeholders and influencers at various levels. The Senior Communication Manager (C4D) will be responsible for leading the in the GPEI Partners Team to implement the following new and initiatives:
- Perception Management Initiative: Partnerships and alliances with key stakeholders with capacity for mass public engagement and shaping of public opinion, High visibility Sessions with key public opinion shapers, Dissemination of high-quality content through various channels, Coordination Management Cell for PMI, toll free line for direct engagement with the public.
- Proactive social media engagement: Generating context specific local content and response from local SM platforms, digital and social media influencers engagement for content sharing from their own channels, monitoring and blocking negative content, partnership with FB, engagement through local WhatsApp groups, and similar platforms and apps.
- Advocacy for generating broader support: Advocacy for Integrating and promoting polio vaccination through other health program; engaging with the Pakistan Pediatric and Pakistan medical associations; engaging with the multi-party Parliamentarians fora for coalition building in support of Polio programme; and engaging with leading universities, think tanks etc. (for example Agha Khan, Quaid-e-Azam, Allam Iqbal, Punjab University etc.)
- Social mobilization and community engagement: Formation of key influencer alliances (religious leaders, doctors, teachers, etc.; Mapping of district and UC level influencers; Orientation of district and UC level influencers; Community engagement sessions by key influencers; Mosque based activities; School based activities and other info entertainment activities.
- Caregiver, family knowledge and motivation: Parental/caregiver engagement through group sessions: Individual counselling sessions with parents of refusal and persistently missed children; Identification and mobilization of role model parents to mobilize other parents.
- Motivation and capacity building: Develop and roll out motivational incentives for frontline workers); Capacity building of FLWs on IPC skills.
- Crisis communication: Revise SOPs; Develop and run simulation exercises; integrate security update in crisis communication planning
- Cross border communication: Synchronization of communication activities with Afghanistan during campaigns and special events by developing and disseminating specific contents and developing tailored approaches to better target priority communities who regular move between the Afghanistan and Pakistan Epidemiological blocks.
- A call center to address on a 24-hour basis, concerns of parents and caregivers
To make a difference, the incumbent shall be responsible for following key strategic functions, accountabilities and related duties/ tasks;
Support to strategy design and development of C4D and Media activities
- Conduct, participate and manage a comprehensive C4D situational analysis that considers social, cultural, communication, economic and political influences. Assess and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to establish comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Program and Polio Eradication Efforts.
- Participate in country program and Pakistan polio eradication program planning and reviews to determine and discuss the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, gender/children inequality, cultural/social behavior etc), ensure successful and sustainable delivery of program results, and provide technical advice on evidence-based approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D/ C4E.
- Provide strategic and operational guidance for more effective C4E interventions based on research on priority and high-risk community social networks, sources of information, and influences.
- Contribute to strengthening the position of C4D results in key Nexus approaches as well as strategic documents (both internal programming documents and national policies/operational strategies) and lead cross-sectorial initiatives on community engagement and Community-based Approaches.
- Develop and build capacities both internally and externally (government counterparts, other implementing partners) with a focus on rights-based, nexus strategies, and measurable C4D/C4E interventions in support of program sustainability.
- Collaborate/consult with a wide range of partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of C4D/C4E activities.
- Develop, implement and monitor the annual work plan of the C4E area of work for the Pakistan Polio Eradication program.
- Within the UNICEF Polio Section-communications and media team and provide support and guidance to the team to ensure objectives are met. This entails identification of human resource requirements, performance planning, and monitoring of the use of available resources. Also support in leveraging adequate resources (HR and funding) to ensure that expected results can be met
Implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate with, advise and consult partners to design evidence-based strategies and formulate, produce and test materials and organize C4D events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, maximum outreach, upscale, and impact on behavioral and social change. Confirm/approve the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to key audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc). Recommend and select appropriate multiple media and communication format and platforms (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web etc.). Manage the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, etc. to encourage and promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable program results on children and women’s rights, equity and wellbeing. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia, research and implementing organizations and other strategic partners and networks to communicate and advocate for UNICEF’s competencies and achievements to also ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social and political engagement for political action on children’s rights.
- Conduct and participate in evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess and report on efficacy of C4D outcomes on UNICEF and CO Strategic Plans and Goals and Polio Eradication program. Take timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements and assure documentation for evidence based C4D strategies and plans.
- Assist in the development and implementation of research tools (qualitative and quantitative) for the monitoring, evaluation and documentation of C4D interventions based on applied communication research and frequent visits to projects sites. Disseminate research findings and best practices, and support exchange of experience and provisions of new methods to government and other partners.
Technical and operational support
- Collaborate with internal CO and RO colleagues to provide expert advice on the development of evidence-based strategies, approaches, policies and the planning of C4D social and resource mobilization initiatives in support of programs and project implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for C4D advocacy and investments and related external relations and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Participate in budget planning and management of funds and submit financial plans for C4D initiatives. Approve the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
- Ensure that strategic planning processes, sectoral and cross-sectoral C4D strategies, partner’s C4D strategies and other relevant processes conform to evidence-based quality and technical standards as defined by UNICEF’s program guidance and GPEI oversight mechanisms.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. academia; research and implementing organizations; media and communication networks; celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness and support Polio Eradication efforts in Pakistan.
- Collaborate with internal, regional and global communication partners to harmonize, link and coordinate strategies including the use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach and impact.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency discussions and collaborate in the planning and preparation of C4D advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context, Polio eradication efforts and target audience. Including non-technology-based innovations.
- Engage in evidence generation and research initiatives that may contribute to improved evidence in C4D practice and influence national and local policies and investments in C4D necessary to achieve and sustain Polio eradication in Pakistan.
- Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge with partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners, local networks, and government partners.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of stakeholders (government and non-government) in evidence based C4D planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Establish, document, expand and maintain a network of national staff and experts to share experiences, case studies and data to ensure that lessons learnt from successful C4D strategies are disseminated, applied and upscaled.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University (Master’s or higher) in social and behavioral science (sociology, anthropology, psychology and health education) with emphasis on participatory communication, community development, communication planning, social mobilization, participatory research, and training and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
- *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization, some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required.
- Practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency situations.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The competencies required for this post are Nurtures, Leads and Manages People , Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness , Works Collaboratively with others, Builds and Maintains Partnerships, Innovates and Embraces Change, Thinks and Acts Strategically, Drives to achieve impactful results , Manages ambiguity and complexity
View our competency framework at Competency Framework Brochure.pdf
Life at UNICEF
Working at UNICEF is highly rewarding. With attractive remuneration package encompassing competitive pay and benefits, a culture that helps staff thrive and diverse opportunities for personal and professional development, we aim to help you maintain a fulfilling life both at and outside the office.
We make sure you and your loved ones receive the resources and care that you need to thrive. Our contracts, benefits and wellbeing policies and initiatives ensure that you are well equipped to effectively deliver for children such as;
- Tax exemption, family allowances, hardship benefits, 10 UN holidays and annual leave allowance, maternity, paternity, adoption leave, medical and dental insurance, pension etc.
- Career support, staff wellbeing programme, breastfeeding policy, flexible work arrangements, childcare room, family support, policies & initiatives, security etc.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.