Closing date: August 15, 2021
As Senior Lecturer in Communication for Development you will be based at the School of Arts and Communication which is part of the Faculty of Culture and Society.
This faculty is a multidisciplinary faculty that includes the School of Arts and Communication, the Department of Global Political Studies and the Department of Urban Studies. Read more about the Faculty of Culture and Society here.
Also known by its acronym K3 (after the Swedish name Konst, Kultur och Kommunikation), our school has approximately 80 faculty members and 1,000 full-time students. We offer undergraduate and postgraduate education in the fields of media, interaction design and cultural studies. Our programs and courses include English, Media and Communication Studies, Visual Communication, Interaction Design as well as a range of courses in different types of media production. K3 offers PhD education in media and communication studies and interaction design. At K3, we combine traditional scholarship and academic knowledge with artistic methods and practical skills. In our teaching and research, art, technology, design and communication converge in new and innovative ways. Read more about K3, including about our research platforms and programs here.
Communication for Development
One of the first and most advanced online learning programs in the field of Communication for Development, ComDev is educating between 120-150 global students every year. The MA program team has developed, pioneered and improved a unique pedagogical concept, the Glocal Classroom, to establish a virtual global learning community with many local bases since its inception in 2000. External international evaluations have confirmed its high pedagogical quality. A core team of about six staff teach, research, communicate with students and stakeholders worldwide. Our ComDev scholars are actively participating in externally funded and internal research networks such as the Rethinking Democracy platform and the Datasociety program and have a long history of international collaborations. Read more about ComDev here.
As senior lecturer in Communication for Development your basic terms of employment comprise teaching (70%), conducting research (20 %) and general administrative duties (10 %). Raising external research funding and additional duties at MAU, can change those terms, but an active involvement in pedagogical work is expected.
The position involves independent teaching, grading, course management as well as supervision and examination of master’s theses, educational development work. collaboration with external stakeholders, international research partners and the wider society. This position involves teaching primarily within the Communication for Development program and teaching within other programs (e.g. MA in Media & Communication Studies) and courses may also occur, both at K3 and across faculty departments.
Those qualified for appointment as a Senior Lecturer are, except in disciplines in the fine, applied or performing arts, a person who has demonstrated teaching expertise and been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A university teacher at Malmö university is expected to have a pedagogical higher education comprising at least 15 higher education credits, or equivalent formalized higher pedagogical education. New employees who do not have this training are required, within the framework of their employment, to begin such training within one year from the start of the employment.
Since Swedish is the official language at Malmö University, all employees are expected to learn basic Swedish within a two-year timeframe.
Specific requirements for this position:
- Completed PhD degree in a subject of relevance to Communication for Development
- Research profile in Communication for Development or similar subject
- A high level of proficiency to teach, research and communicate in English
- Good communication and collaboration skills
The following would be of benefit for the position:
- Experience in teaching and working in an online, blended learning environment
- Experience with working, teaching, conducting fieldwork, coordinating and implementing development-related and applied research in the global South
- Knowledge of media theories and practices in the context of humanitarian or development communication in a historical as well as a contemporary perspective
- Experience in external fundraising
- Practical media production skills
- Additional language proficiency
In addition to formal competence, University’s employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
All qualifications and skills must be accompanied with supportive documentation in the application.
The assessment criteria for appointment as a Senior Lecturer shall be the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of other qualifying criteria (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A Senior Lecturer must be established within their scientific field, taking into account the nature and tradition of the subject specialisation.
A Senior Lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in the field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
To apply for this job please visit web103.reachmee.com.