Closing date: September 14, 2021
Open to internal and external candidates
Reference : ROWCA-HR-21-235-VN
Position Title: Senior Community Engagement Assistant
Duty station: Dakar, Senegal
Classification: General Services, Grade G6
Type of appointment: One Year Fixed Term, 12 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing date: 14-sept.-21
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Applications are welcome from internal and external candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For this vacancy, applications from qualified and eligible internal candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible external candidates in the selection process.
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. IOM implements innovative projects aimed at young people and aspirant migrants through a Communication for Development (C4D) approach. One such project is Migrants as Messengers (MaM), which seeks to empower target audiences in West Africa make informed decisions about migration through peer-to-peer messaging.
The project started in three countries in November 2017 and expanded to seven countries in 2019 (Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, The Gambia, Côte d’Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Liberia). It is carried out by volunteers using storytelling techniques to record and broadcast interviews with returned migrants and share these stories online and at community events including a substantial non-digital community engagement component.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, and the direct supervision of the Community Engagement Officer, the successful candidate will assist and support the implementation of the community engagement component of the Migrants as Messengers project contributing to the planning and implementation of trainings and other activities in coordination with the countries’ focal persons.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Community Engagement Officer and the Migrants as Messengers technical team, plan and implement community engagement activities promoting safe and orderly migration.
- Moderate Volunteer online platforms and implement creative initiatives to keep the Volunteers engaged.
- Develop and implement trainings for volunteers, media and civil society actors and support training implementation across the project’s countries – both remotely and in person.
- In coordination with the Community Engagement Officer, engage media outlets to foster the direct participation of returnee migrants, and identify and suggest partnerships with NGOs and civil society associations engaged in advocacy, migration and youth promotion.
- Support the design and coordinate the production and implementation of regional campaigns.
- Write articles to showcase initiatives being implemented across MaM countries.
- Contribute to the implementation of the women’ inclusion strategy and other tools to foster female returnees’ participation as Volunteers and participants in MaM activities and content.
- Assist the Programme team and the Impact Evaluation Team in the implementation of field activities and the related studies.
- Execute administrative and financial procedures necessary for project activities, including reporting.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, or higher Diploma in Communications, Journalism, Development Studies, International Relations, Social Sciences or related discipline with 4 years relevant work experience, or;
- High school diploma with 6 years of relevant work experience.
· Proven ability in implementing community engagement, outreach, advocacy or awareness raising initiatives.
· Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor.
· Well-versed in West Africa traditional and digital media landscape.
· Excellent grasp of migration dynamics in West Africa.
· Experience working in international, nongovernment or civil society organizations.
· Experience liaising with government, civil society and media partners.
· Sound knowledge of project implementation, administration and evaluation.
· Experience in digital content creation, including photography, videography, graphic design and editing, is a strong advantage.
For this position, fluency in English and French are required (oral and written).
Knowledge of local language is an advantage
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
· Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested internal and external candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to [email protected]iom.int indicating position applied on the subject line: « ROWCA-HR-21-235-VN , Senior Community Engagement Assistant »**.
For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for the application as well as a detailed resume/CV, function email address and mobile number.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org